Castles in the sand

Desert life through the eyes of an Icelander

Monday, September 08, 2008

A conversation that could have happened at any professional services firm

I called up my director yesterday morning, and explained to him that I'd had a pretty bad mishap. That I'd seriously hurt my ankle playing basketball, to the point where I was rushed to the hospital with my ankle at quadruple the normal size, diagnosed with a dislocated ankle and multiple serious ligament tears, given intravenal painkillers, told that the pain and swelling was too severe for them to complete the diagnosis; that instead I'd had my leg placed in an immobilizing cast and was told to remain in bed for a minimum of three days with my leg on ice and cartoonishly elevated while eating painkilling medication probably designed for horses; and that after the three days they'd reevaluate to make the decision whether I needed surgery.

He was quite taken aback, and wished me a rapid recovery.

Twenty minutes later he calls me back: "So, just to be clear, does that mean you can or can't work?"

------------------------------------------------

Update: Apparently I can add a dislocated ankle and cartilage damage to the list... but the surgery decision is put off for another several weeks, as it's still too messy to tell.

10 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger mawalien said…

    So... can you?

    :)


    Get well soon!

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger malawihazel said…

    magnus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    you poor poor thing! shame!

    i hope you are being looked after well and pampered lots!

    as for the boss thing.... well.. you did sell your soul to the corporate devil in the mecca of capitalism. you got the silver convertible, the apartment with the ocean view, the ski slope in the desert, the new furniture, the champagne brunches...

    and he got the rights to your soul (whether it is in a fit body or not)

    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger Kristjana said…

    HAHAHAHAHA, touché, Hazel! Brilliant analysis.

    Aaaaaaaaaaaaumingja Magnús. Anti-inflammatories are your friends. Also, how many basketball injuries is it going to take before you give it up in favour of Tai Chi?

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger malawihazel said…

    tai chi - yes!!

    hahahahahaha

    or perhaps pilates?

    hahahahahaha

    or even water aerobics?

    hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha

    you're not 29 anymore magnus ;)

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Magnus said…

    Hmm.

    Sadly, yes, I worked many of my more lucid moments this week.

    On the rights to my soul... I know. I'm working on renegotiating that one. We'll get back to that at some point.

    Finally - is it too late to try out for the Icelandic synchronized swimming paralympics team?

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Ella said…

    I completely understand his question. You had an accident on your leg, not your brain right? ... ;)

    Just kidding, enjoy cozy days in front of the TV and have a not only rapid but good recovery.

    Ella

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Ella said…

    And may I point out that all serious athletes in the world do not only physical training but mental training as well.

    So you could think of this as a chance to do a mental training workshop of three days;)

     
  • At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dude... i feel your pain! i really do... sounds terrible...

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Eu sabia que alguma vez te ia acontecer algo de grave a jogar Basket, confesso que fico aliviado por ter sido "apenas" o que foi. Grandes sustos nos pregaste quanto tinhas aqueles ataques... ainda hoje o pessoal fala disso. Quando estiveres em forma e com vontade de jogar novamente podes sempre vir jogar connosco. Grande Abraço e as melhoras. Luís

     
  • At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Clara Heisler said…

    Hazel, don't scare him like that! LOL.

    I'm quite sure that you've long recovered and are back to normal, as if nothing happened. But it sure was a hassle to be just in bed with your leg awkwardly elevated while chomping on pain killers. But that's what the doctor said. I just wonder, however, what did you tell your boss when he called back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home