Castles in the sand

Desert life through the eyes of an Icelander

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Chit-chat on a plane

I had just begun reading the front page of the paper on the flight from London to Dubai on December 29th when I got to chatting to the guy sitting next to me, an Irish guy in his 50’s. He found out I was from Iceland, and headed back to Dubai. That’s a bit of a hot spot for an Icelander, isn’t it? A bit, I said. How about yourself? Well, I was home with the family enjoying my Christmas holiday, but got called back to work, he said. What do you do? I’m the UN Chief of Security for Pakistan.

My eyes dropped to the front pages of our respective papers, each portraying separate shots of Benazir Bhutto accompanied by stories of mass rioting. I’m going to a hot spot?

Nice guy. Consults on international hostage negotiating (as you do), like the Koreans in Afghanistan. Also goes trout fishing in abandoned valleys 5,000 meters above sea level in the Pakistani mountains. Not a big Bhutto fan, but didn’t want to speak ill of the dead. Plus, he said, it’s a banana republic… what kind of a political process is it to pass on power to your son and spouse? There was a small pause - then I couldn't help but think outloud. Seems to be working for the US, no?

Was invited to go visit him in Islamabad. Tempting. Very, very tempting.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Caríssimo Amigo,

    Antes de mais nada quero-te desejar um 2008 memorável. espero que não tenhas caído na tentação de por a tocar muitas vezes aquela musica do South Park "Mr. Muslim, Merry fucking Christmas..". Queria-te deixar um endereço de um blogge de malta de Ílhavo sobre o mar e os navis que com certeza vais gostar. http://noseomar.blogspot.com
    Grande Abraço
    Luís Pedro

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger ismarah said…

    oh my!

    Have been reading your blogs and am very impressed with the amount of living you've packed into 30 years.

    Dubai sounds nice, especially the tax-free bit. Although even the UK is an improvement when compared to persónuafsláttur og 30%+ skattur!

    Best wishes for the Nýár,

    Kamilla

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger malawihazel said…

    hey! where have you gone again?

    do you realise that it's your blog's first birthday next week???

    I am expecting a good one :)

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheguei aqui por um acaso e não deu para ignorar as saudades!
    Beijo grande
    Mafalda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home