Castles in the sand

Desert life through the eyes of an Icelander

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My new project

I’m writing this from a traffic jam in Cairo, where I’ll be spending most of the next few months on my new project. As in the city, hopefully not the traffic jam. Headed to the client site once more, which is a public entity much like the city itself – massive, chaotic, and extremely interesting. In essence, I’ll be doing the economic development work that I’ve always wanted to do.

As always, one should be careful what one wishes for. Through my travels I have gotten quite used to using public toilet facilities that are essentially a literal hole in the ground with a bucket of water fulfilling the function of Western toilet paper; in fact, I have gotten quite good at remembering that in large portions of the world people only ever pass things to one another with their right hand, and why.

But there’s something quite surreal about consistently having to use such facilities, with hygene standards described by my interpreter as “not human”, while wearing a suit and tie.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger adevents said…

    first time in your blog I scanned through all your posts yes I did not read every word but somehow I did and I like it, now I want to say it is really interesting to see through other people eyes other people opinion of the countries you saw and have experience in it, so I will be reading your blog form now own, by the way enjoy Cairo it is different than the others and the most interesting and wit culture.

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Blogger eprahin said…

    amen to the hole in the ground toilet... i say if push comes to shove, and there is a choice, mother nature works best... if you can survive for 10 boats on a laos slow boat... you can survive anywhere...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home