Castles in the sand

Desert life through the eyes of an Icelander

Saturday, March 03, 2007

I have learned...

...that the chances of:

- walking into a bar on my first day in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, sitting down in the only empty chair and finding that the person sitting next to me is the country's only Icelandic resident: >0.

- that person sharing the rarer of my two given names: >0.

- going into the far northern reaches of Ethiopia, travelling over 100 km on gravel roads and mountain paths towards a 1600 year old monestary only accessible by climbing a 15 meter sheer rockface with the aid of rope of wound goat skin, running into the only two other white men to have visited in the preceding 48 hours and finding they are also my countrymen: >0.

- two people in my London Business School study group of five independently making the life altering decision to move from London to Dubai and starting work there on the same day: >0, apparently.

I should be playing the lottery.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dááásamlegt! Já, það var það fyrsta og eina sem mér datt í hug! :) m.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Þú hittir víst Nonna bróðir minn í Eþíópíu...ákvað því að kíkja á síðuna þína:)

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger mawalien said…

    So... what can you conclude from this?

    Ice-landers are lucky?
    Malawians are lucky?

    Looks like you got the best of both worlds...

    Just read the blog, and it's been a tonne of fun...

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Blogger Kristjana said…

    How is the new job, new apartment, new everything??

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Magnus said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Magnus said…

    Hmm... new job... I'm about to write a quick post on that one. New apartment... I finally got my key, but then I was sent to Beirut before I could use it. So now I have an apartment, but no, for example, bed... or kitchenware... or chairs... or, well, anything. In celebration of this, my friend Christian will officially become my first visitor this weekend. I told him I would attempt to have an air mattress and cereal in the apartment by then.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger eprahin said…

    Another statistical factor from Ethiopia -

    Showing up to a country with more than 15 ways of modern ways of raising cash and actually being able to get any liquidity what so ever = 0.00001

    Securing a fine rabbit on a rope = 1

    Chewing some fine Qat > 1

    Feeling anything after chewing some fine Qat <> undefined

    Purchasing a fine donkey > 0

    Getting a fine haircut > 0

    Having your own gang = 1

    could go on... for much much longer..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home