Castles in the sand

Desert life through the eyes of an Icelander

Friday, February 09, 2007

My new nickname

As I lay in bed the morning after dragging six friends and friends of friends out drinking until very late last Tuesday night I received the following text message, around the time normal people were getting ready to go to work:

"You are a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad idea bear and I blame you."

This was in reference to the Bad Idea Bears, characters from Avenue Q, the puppet show/musical I saw the other day. They are sort of a massively obnoxious version of the angel and the devil on the shoulder, if we assume the angel has irrevocably fallen. They tend to come out to offer bad advice when the main characters are facing some difficult issues:

Main character: "Now that I'm out of college, I really must set about finding my purpose in life."
Bad Idea Bears: "Buy beer! Buy beer! Buy beer!"
Main character (has a revelation): "Maybe I'll buy a sixpack!"
Bad Idea Bears: "No... you're on a budget. Buy a case! That way you'll save money in the long run!"
Or...
"I have a really important day tomorrow... I really shouldn't drink."
Bad Idea Bears: "Absinthe Daquiries!"

Needless to say, I identify very closely with their philosophy, and react quite positively to being called a Bad Idea Bear.

This is all nice and well, until we consider the fact that I am a consultant. As such, my job is essentially to sit on someone's shoulder when he or she is facing an important decision, and offer advice.

Taking this thought one step further, as I recall, in Dante's Inferno, the Kings' advisers are one layer further down in hell than the Kings themselves. Yes, the Middle East does have monarchs, and yes, my company does advise some of them.

Should I be worrying about this? More importantly, should you or those worried about peace and stability in the Middle East be?

3 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Kristjana said…

    Middle East Monarch: Hmmm. I really should be putting money into some kind of a public school system and universal health care.

    Bad Idea Bear: You haven't updated your car fleet in almost six months! Buy cars! Buy cars!

    I am somewhat concerned.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the bad idea has left the country. i will now be the perfect student, staying in every night working on my assignments. mua ha ha ha ha

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i meant the bad idea bear, not the bad idea - freudian slip. or shall i say - schadenfreude - not sure who it belongs to though...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home