Castles in the sand

Desert life through the eyes of an Icelander

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pictures of Dubai life


The Dubai skyline on a foggy day. The building just left of the sun is the Burj Dubai, which had then just become the world's tallest building at 130 floors. Of course they're still adding another 50 or 60 (the exact number is a secret), and leaving the structure so that it can still be added to, in case somebody tries to outdo them later on...



Now that I finally have a bed, this is the first thing I see when I open my eyes in the morning: beach, sun, and the blue of the Persian Gulf. The beach is a three minute walk away, and life isn't so bad when you're taking advantage of that...















This one is the view from my living room window, which is 90 degrees to the right - my office is about 500 m behind the blue building in the background.




This one is from my balcony, further to the right again. About five buildings to the right of this picture is the home of my friend Alex from LBS (the one who moved to Dubai on the same day as me).














I've gotten a lot of grief from a lot of people, including my dear mother, about not putting up a picture of my toy car. So here it comes...



The big reason why I didn't want to put it in my blog the last time was because I did put in a picture of Tal, which I consider a little more important than my new toy... but here are my T and my Toy together in the Omani mountains.



Finally, a roadside picture of the desert from the same road trip.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, first all, WOW!! And then - Caralho!!!, which means I'm just a little impressed and rather dissapointed in you!!! Tst tst tst. Magnus, the only living Icelandic Marxist, has fallen into the arms of a fisrt grade arabian capitalist lifestile! Tst tst tst. Good for you. It was nice seeing you here. I hope you return my mails. Do teu amigo Jatinho.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    A toy car....Wow..I was quite shocked as well...

    So use it well and abuse it while you can!
    I guess that kind of equipment is necessary in the Middle East....

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Magnus said…

    Yes, well... as I said, it's a toy... and I'm a little embarrassed... but rather now than when I have my mid-life crisis, right?

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, you bought a Porche? Caralho! Nice car. Almost as nice as my Mini.

    Life is back to normal. I´m studying anthropology at the University of Iceland and Nonni is in Scotland already doing his media studies. Now I can only daydream of Africa, which though isn´t that hard when you´re studying anthropology, learning about exotic people and cultures all day.

    Can you please send some sun and sand over? Supprisingly it´s raining in Reykjavík, strange isn´t it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home